The missing Indonesian navy submarine is likely to have sunk with none of the 53-strong crew surviving, officials have said.
Rescue teams have been desperately trying to find KRI Nanggala 402 after it vanished during a training exercise in waters north of Bali on Wednesday.
A scan located the submarine around 850m (2,789ft) beneath the sea today, while debris has been recovered from the vessel.
The crew was expected to have run out of oxygen at 8pm on Friday night.
Indonesia had named the submarine ‘missing’, but it has now declared it as ‘sub sunk’ with no hopes of finding anyone alive.
Navy Chief Yudo Margono said rescuers found several items including parts of a torpedo straightener, a grease bottle believed to be used to oil the periscope and prayer rugs from the submarine.
He said: ‘With the authentic evidence we found believed to be from the submarine, we have now moved from the sub miss phase to sub sunk.’
Families had been holding out hopes their loved ones would return safe and well, Sky reports.
Ratih Wardhani, the sister of crewman Wisnu Subiyantoro, 49, said this week: ‘The family is in a good condition and keeps praying. We are optimistic that the Nanggala can be rescued with all the crew.’
Berda Asmara, the wife of crew member Guntur Ari Prasetyo, 39, said her husband had asked her to ‘pray for him’ before setting sail. She said: ‘I hope that they will be found alive.’
Dozens of ships and planes have been involved in the desperate search for the submarine.
Offers of help came from countries around the world, including the US, Germany, France, Russia, India, Turkey and South Korea.
The cause of the disappearance remains uncertain.
The navy said yesterday an electrical failure could have left the submarine unable to execute emergency procedures to resurface.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]
For more stories like this, check our news page.